Old 09-05-2006, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Starling Vandalism

Robin McInnes writes
M wrote:
Could be that the starling is making an attempt to take the young plants to
the nest to freshen it up.

I too have starlings nesting in the corner ridge tile area of the house and
saw one of them swoop down and nick (at least)one of the young pansy plants
I had planted a couple of days previous. Went outside and it flew onto the
garage roof still with plant in its beak !

I have now placed wire netting on top of the remaining plants.

Yes, we thought about the 'nest material' theory but, as I say, the
bird is not taking the plants away; it just uproots them and leaves
them lying on the ground to die.

Possibly tugs what he thinks is nesting material, finds with the ball of
soil on the end that it's more than he bargained for, and jettisons it.

--
Kay