Old 09-05-2006, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete

Default wild life

K wrote:
BoyPete writes
Someone wrote:
Could anyone tell me how i could attract wild life into my garden?
All i have is 3 blank lawns, with a few plants, no shrubs or
anything. What could i do, at low cost?

Sharon.

Dead cheap................lift some lawn, dig in some chicken manure
pellets, buy 3 different packets of wild flower seeds, mix together
and sprinkle on ground. cover lightly with fine soil, and water.
You'll have a wonderful display of assorted flowers and loadsa bees,
butterflys etc...

That will require maintenance. The grass will love the extra nitrogen,
and will compete more effectively than the wild flowers, so you'll
have to weed and treat it like a conventional flower bed. You won't
be able to go for the wild flower meadow look.

If you want to give the wildflowers a chance of competing against the
grass, you need to *reduce* the fertility. Leave out the chicken
manure pellets.

Decide whether you want ot go for a perennial meadow, with perennial
plants, or an annual one with cornfield type flowers, which you will
need to clear and re-sow every year.

K, I posted from experience...... skip the manure if you like, I just use it
everywhere.......it worked fine for me.

--
ßôyþëtë
(SE London)