Old 10-05-2006, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

Default Which Veg, Plants Have The Shortest Roots

"Alan" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

May 15th is almost here, the date we NYers plant vegetables. I had a
good first season last year but a whole bunch of things never really
grew. The main problem is that I don't have as much sun as I would
like. Also, my garden is in a sloped down hill, 30 ft across by 15
wide or up the grade, mabe 20 degrees.

On top of the hill there are two large trees and there were other
trees that my new next door neighbor removed. Last year I never
really tilled the soil but this year I used a Ryobi Weed Whacker
Roto-tiller attachment and my back feels it. There were tons of roots
in the soil, lots of large rocks and even a roofing shingle. I took
out lots of the roots but I left the major tree roots because they
were very thick (4 inch or more in diameter) and I didn't want the
trees to loose stability and fall on the house!

So, my two questions a

1. Which plants need the least amount of space for roots?

2. Which plants need the least amount of sun?

Is there a place online that might have this information?

Romaine and spinach have shallow root systems and wil grow OK with less than
a full day's worth of sun.