Old 10-05-2006, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

Default Snails galore

The Guy wrote:

In article ,
cloud dreamer wrote:

From what I've read, it won't be as effective. Would you not be able to
get at least a season out of the mesh before it starts to tarnish? That
way, you need only clean it with regular tarnish removers every fall,
and reinstall in the Spring. Also, olive oil helps retard the tarnish,
so that would extend its life each season.

I've never used copper mesh myself. I've had great success with the
rough lumber and mulch. I'd be curious to hear of people's experiences
with copper.

..

I've read that you need at least a 3 in. wide strip (solid copper foil)
or the critters will cross it. Don't know about a 5 in. mesh, sounds
like it would work. I'm going to experiment with a 3-4 penny wide
barrier on a low-lying bowl of beer and see if the slugs will cross
that. Beer works great but the results are a bit gross and is more
effective at attracting slugs than snails (I've got both in abundance).
If pennies or copper mesh works I'd probably install it under a ledge
mounted on the edge of my raised beds which are made of 2" x 6" x 4ft
(or 8ft) redwood. I wasn't planning on removing any copper barrier I
install as I live in zone 9b and I plant winter crops. Slugs and snails
are year round around here. Pennies would certainly be cheaper than Cu
foil or mesh.

I don't bother with bait and traps unless I have slugs in a contained
area - for the same reasons. Disposing of the buggers and laying the
traps makes it very labour intensive. Guess that's why I like the
lumber. Once it is down, there's no labour involved until I replace them
in ten or fifteen years.

To me, the copper would be ideal for places where it would be difficult
to place the lumber and/or the mulch. I have one spot in particular
where I think the copper would be a possible solution - but for
everything else, it's the lumber and mulch. Are your raised beds made
from rough or smooth lumber? (I don't think I see much redwood around here)

Come to think of it....is there enough copper in a penny to deter the
slugs? The US penny has only 2.4% copper (though it is the plating).
Curious to know if it works.

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East. (Winter crops...what's that?