Old 10-05-2006, 01:09 AM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

Default Foam in pond

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message
"BoyPete" wrote in message
600 gal pond, London UK. Hozelock pump and pressurised filter, plus
fountain. The fountain and filter return are creating a foam which clings
to plants and feeding ring. I assume it does no harm, but is there any
way I can illiminate this?

======================
The only time I see foam and froth on my ponds are when the fish are
breeding. It's gone in less than 24 hours.

If you're going to be the self appointed rec.ponds expert at least read
what's in the rec.ponds faq.
It really would prevent you from looking like a complete moron.

From the FAQ:
29: Why is there foam at the base of my waterfall?

Foam in the pond is rarely caused by soap as many would guess, but by the
agitation of water containing dissolved organic compounds (DOC). DOC may be
caused by fish wastes or by decaying plant matter. First clean the bottom of
the pond and ensure that there is no decaying leaf mold. Skim the foam with
a net. If you have eliminated the source, no more foam should appear.

If the source of the DOC is your fish, you can remove it with activated
carbon (sources claim from one to eight pounds of carbon per one thousand
gallons) placed in the filter (or in the base of the waterfall). Put the
carbon in a pantyhose leg so that you can easily remove it later. It should
be removed once the foam disappears.

If you have a continuing problem with DOC, you may consider building a
protein skimmer.