Old 10-05-2006, 12:08 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

Default mole

Stubby said:

MaryL wrote:
"LUSTER43" wrote in message
Mole problem in my lawn . HELP !!!!!!!!!!1

By coincidence, I heard someone on a radio call-in show yesterday say that
dried coyote urine (available commercially) can be scattered around mole
tunnels. Supposedly, they will leave the area because they believe
predators are present.

Note: I have never tried this, but it sounded interesting.

It's just another thing for rich yuppies to spend money on.

Actually, it's one of the most effective ways that there is, to keep garden
pests (deer, rabbits, etc.) out of gardens,. Many studies have shown that.
Odor-based repellents that act upon fear are the ones that get the best
results.

For whitetail deer, studies have shown that bobcat urine is significantly
more effective than coyote urine. Someone farther up in the thread joked
about providing the repellant themselves. Actually, studies have shown that
to be also effective, but much less so than coyote.

Coyote urine comes in both a liquid and a dried form (humans can't smell
it, even the liquid).

It is expensive

How so? One doesn't need to treat the entire lawn, only the areas around
the beds with the plants that are a food source for the pest. A 16oz
container of the dried runs about $15, and a gallon [also comes in 8oz at
about $20) goes for about $115. Considering a little goes a long way, and
it's more effective than probably any other repellant, how is it expensive?
I suppose it all depends on how much you'd like to keep your garden beds
looking as you planned them, when you set out the plants/seeds.

and certainly won't last after a rain.

There are dispensers that shelter the product from just such an occurance.

--
Eggs

-If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?