Old 09-05-2006, 11:37 PM posted to aus.gardens
Linda H

Default Brunfelsia - neurotoxin

Linda H wrote:
Roberta Bagshaw wrote:

I read today in a veterinary publication that Brunfelsia australis
contains a potent neurotoxin in the leaves and flowers and is
palatable to dogs. The vet who wrote the article was seeing a lot of
cases over East, mainly because someone was handing
out lots of cuttings to people who stopped to admire his lovely bush!

Hi again, Roberta. I just typed 'Brunfelsia australis' into Google
images (
http://images.google.com/images?q=Br... tart=20&sa=N
) and yes, that's a pretty mauve flower so I can see why some people
have adopted it as an ornamental plant. I'll be sure to warn anyone I
see with it about its toxic properties for dogs.

Fortunately we don't have any of that growing wild where we are. Then I
decided to look at pics of Cape Weed. Someone in here mentioned it as
the old wives tale plant we used to call "wet-the-bed" and yeah, that's
wet-the-bed alright.

BUT... that's not the weed I've been calling Cape Weed (which is the
name the neigbours told me it was.) It's not! The weed that is our
particular problem comes up with a pretty little pale butter coloured
flower that attracts tons of those similar coloured butterflies. I'll
search for weed images and see if I can find the name of it.

L.