Old 10-05-2006, 06:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
Snooze

Default Musty smellin potting soil, what should I do with it?

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
.net...
I have about a large bag and a half of potting soil that has become lumpy
and dried out because I didn't use any for a couple of years. It smells
musty inside. I'd like to dump it somewhere it might do some good, but am
afraid the musty smell means mold which might not be good for grass or
plants. Hate to just throw it in the garbage. Any suggestions besides
landfill?

Who cares if it has a musty smell? It's potting soil, it's if the bacteria
started to break down the organic matter in the potting soil it's better for
the plants anyways. If the smell bothers you, just spread it out on a large
plastic bag, set it in the sun for a few hours. Once it dries out, the smell
will go away on it's own.

Then use as normal.

-S