Old 10-05-2006, 03:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

Default A good, "All Round" Veggie fertilizer (???)

On Tue, 9 May 2006 19:28:14 -0400, "D.Reid"
wrote:

Hello,
Newbie gardner here that is trying hard. I'm in North Florida and am
gardening in raised beds. Have a little bit of all the common stuff in and
up but it just doesnt seem to be "taking off".
May I ask the more experienced folks out there what a good "All-Round"
fertilizer to side dress my plants and rows might be? Maybe this is what I
might need to kick them into "gear"?

That's an "It depends" question.

Did you have your soil tested? If you already have a nitrogen
heavy soil, putting 10-10-10 on it will probably give you plenty
of lush foliage, but not a lot of fruit. On the other hand, if
you have nitrogen deficient soils, 10-10-10 would probably be a
good thing.

But...

This early in the season it probably won't hurt. Later you might
want to try a veggie specific fertilize to encourage heavier
fruiting. I usually start mine off with a kelp fertilizer, but I
like to stay organic where I can.

You said your garden hasn't taken off. How long have the plants
been in the ground, and what have the nighttime temps been? It's
been alternating between unseasonably warm and unseasonably cool
here in South Carolina. On the warm weeks, you can almost watch
the basil grow, but on the cool weeks it just sits there looking
gloomy.

Penelope

Penelope

- "pointed"