Old 10-05-2006, 06:35 AM posted to aus.gardens
Roberta Bagshaw

Default Cape Weed - control the old fashioned way?

Hi Linda

Check out this site - maybe you can identify your weed
http://www.directpestcontrol.com.au/weeds.htm

Your post reminded me of a conversation that I had recently with my elderly
neighbour Val who is a very keen gardener, and keeps a meticulous buffalo
grass lawn. The last couple of years we have had problems with clover weed
in garden beds and in lawns. The type of clover is that red stemmed one
that has a very dense cover - almost a mat - of leaves.

Val remembered that years ago (pre-herbicide days) the easy way to rid
yourself of many weeds was to apply a strong dose of Sulphate of Ammonia
which literally burned the weed by an overapplication of nitrogen. She
applied it to her plague of clover and got rid of it! It is certainly a
cheap (and relatively safe) solution.

Maybe you could try it on a bit of your weed and see what happens?

Cheers
~Bobby~

"Linda H" wrote in message
Linda H wrote:

BUT... that's not the weed I've been calling Cape Weed (which is the name
the neigbours told me it was.) It's not! The weed that is our
particular problem comes up with a pretty little pale butter coloured
flower that attracts tons of those similar coloured butterflies. I'll
search for weed images and see if I can find the name of it.

Damn, I found a great website that you can click on your zone with many
pics of weeds known to that area ( www.weeds.org.au ) but still I can't
identify the weed I thought was Cape. Grrr.

The closest I can see to resemble it is something like Saggitaria or
Parthenium but it's not those. I would take a photo but there's none "up"
at the moment coz we've mowed all the tops off.

I'll keep searching.

L.