Old 10-05-2006, 01:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

Default Musty smellin potting soil, what should I do with it?

"Snooze" wrote in message
. com...

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
.net...
I have about a large bag and a half of potting soil that has become
lumpy and dried out because I didn't use any for a couple of years.
It smells musty inside. I'd like to dump it somewhere it might do
some good, but am afraid the musty smell means mold which might not be
good for grass or plants. Hate to just throw it in the garbage. Any
suggestions besides landfill?

Who cares if it has a musty smell? It's potting soil, it's if the
bacteria started to break down the organic matter in the potting soil
it's better for the plants anyways. If the smell bothers you, just
spread it out on a large plastic bag, set it in the sun for a few
hours. Once it dries out, the smell will go away on it's own.

Then use as normal.

Not bothered by the smell at all. Just didn't want to introduce
something that would adversely affect new/old plants. I'll skip the sun
and just sprinkle it where I think it is most needed. Except the roses
as noted in the post above.

-S