Old 10-05-2006, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek Turner

Default Soil/Compost for Allotment

Ade wrote:
I have a new allotment with new raised beds, on clay soil. I want to add
soil or compost to the raised beds. It's a new allotment so I don't

have
any home-made compost, so I'll have to buy some.

Why are you so anxious to add more soil, is the present soil so bad?
Why don't you just try it and see what happens, I would not just add more
for the fun of it.

When I dig the soil, it's just great big lumps of heavy clod, so I thought
adding soil would help? I'm new to this allotment lark and haven't got a
clue what I'm doing !

Then don't dig it! Google no-dig gardening. Use a fork rather than a
spade if the ground is compacted.