Old 10-05-2006, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Default How do I protect a hedge from the local kids?

"the_constructor" wrote

Where I live, we have Speight's of hedge hoppers (kids) and the local
Police advised everyone at the local Residents Association meeting to
plant very prickly bushes in their gardens. This way, if anyone
injures themselves then it is their own faults, they should not have
been there, and it is not against the law to plant these types of
bushes. They also said that they would take no action if the kids
complained.

Trimmed prickly boundary hedges are one thing but bramble canes, which
were suggested somewhere upthread, are a bit of a different matter if
you allow them to grow out from your property over a public footpath
though - and they can grow quickly. You might very well be liable for
damages if someone got hurt by one whipping about in the wind. I know of
someone who lost an eye like this.

--
Sue