Old 10-05-2006, 08:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

Default Musty smellin potting soil, what should I do with it?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'd be less inclined to use it in a potting mix indoors solely on the
smell. It will not harm anything however.
Most potting mixes are benefitted by the addition of an equal volume
of
sharp sand or pearlite to open them up a bit.
You can use this to top dress anything you have growing outside
without
worry.

Just got rid of half a bag of it when I planted some shade plants, threw
it over the top, not the plants, the ground. Will mulch tomorrow as it
was a bit much for the back, fought lots of roots while preparing the
bed and did a sloppy job at that. Let Mother Nature worry about it. I
bought a fresh bag of potting soil yesterday for indoor plants and for
using in pots outdoors.

Thanks much for the help. Sure beats calling the gardening store. Half
the time they have to try to find one of their experts like yesterday
when I thought I needed vermuculite, peatmoss and sand. It all worked
in my favor, said I'd come get it later because roses aren't ready yet
to try to root cuttings. Turns out I need vermuculite, pearlite, and
peat moss, no sand.