Old 10-05-2006, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1

Default Are custom fertilizers better than the general stuff?

They will give you inferior results with peas, beans (more leaves, less
pods), parsnip and carrots (forked, hairy roots), if you overdo it.
Typically, as long as you have decent soil you give zero N to these
four. Tomatoes, peppers, potato and squash will also have inferior
yields if given too much N, though I never noticed a difference myself
(I have sandy soil so the excess N probably washes off quickly).