Old 10-05-2006, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default horse chestnut(conker tree)

"Simon" wrote
In my garden I have a conker tree, which was set by my son from a
conker about 12 years ago, it has travelled with us from property to
property. As we don't have a large enough garden it is in a pot. I
exchanged the pot this year for a much larger one, a half barrel, and
the resulting increase in growth has been phenomenal, it has exceeded
last years growth by about 5 times already. The thing is I'm not sure
how to care for it correctly in its new envigorated state. The tree
itself is very robust, its now about 8 feet tall, however the leaves
are drooping quite badly, I'm wondering if I've over watered it. I've
given it no water for about 3 days now but it doesn't seem to be
improving, I suppose what I'm asking, in a very long winded way is how
much water do I give this tree. Its very precious to us by the way,
even more so now as my son who planted it has been critically ill
recently with a brain tumour, although he is now doing magnificently
well after surgery. Any advice would be much appreciated

The new bigger pot does have drainage holes in the base doesn't it?
If so I don't see how you could overwater it unless it sits in a water tray
filled with water. A bad idea for most plants.
Perhaps in it's invigorated state it needs a good feed.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden