Old 11-05-2006, 06:27 AM posted to aus.gardens
Farm1

Default Cape Weed - control the old fashioned way?

"Roberta Bagshaw" wrote in message

Your post reminded me of a conversation that I had recently with my

elderly
neighbour Val who is a very keen gardener,
Val remembered that years ago (pre-herbicide days) the easy way to

rid
yourself of many weeds was to apply a strong dose of Sulphate of

Ammonia
which literally burned the weed by an overapplication of nitrogen.

She
applied it to her plague of clover and got rid of it! It is

certainly a
cheap (and relatively safe) solution.

Sulphate of Ammonia is a good product to use BUT it can't solve this
particular problem. Cape Weed is one weed that it will not work on
although it will work on other broadleaf plants such as plantain and
dandelion and also it can't be used at this time of year. It must be
used in Spring (as do most of the other products) which must be used
on actively growing weeds.