Old 11-05-2006, 08:08 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

Default Cape Weed - control the old fashioned way?

In article ,
Linda H wrote:

...a strong dose of Sulphate of Ammonia
which literally burned the weed by an overapplication of nitrogen. She
applied it to her plague of clover and got rid of it! It is certainly a
cheap (and relatively safe) solution.

It works on clover because clover is a nitrogen-fixing plant -- you are giving
it a nitrogen overdose, against which it has no defences (you can kill some
Australian plants with phosphorus the same way). If Cape Weed isn't a legume,
it won't work. You could try boiling water, but as it's a perennial it
probably will still stagger along.

Okay, that's worth a bash, Roberta. So, Sulphate of Ammonia; where do
you buy that? (Sorry, I know I seem to be vague about availability of
these chemicals - but yeah, I am, I'm as vague as... as that stuff you
buy from that whatsitsname place, you know?)

Hardware shops and nurseries.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue