Old 11-05-2006, 12:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Alan Sung

Default Oak seedling

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
First, let the oak grow almost like a shrub, with multiple stems. This
is the way many seedling oaks grow. Allow it to grow this way for 3-5
years, until the stems are at least as thick as broom sticks.

All the acorns that sprout in the woods around me only have a single stem.
The only time I see multiple stems is when the main leader is cut close to
the ground. Oaks are pretty sturdy and maintenance free. Letting your 7-8 ft
tree sway, rather than staking it, will actually help strengthen it and help
it grow upright. Any Pisa-like tilt will work its way out over time.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 6a)