Old 11-05-2006, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant Recommendations

louisxiv wrote:
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"louisxiv" wrote in message
A question from a (overly ambitious?) newbie!

I'm looking to develop a south facing area of my garden and because I
live by the sea i'd like to focus on plants which will fit
'thematically'. What I have in mind is a kind of organised, but not too
fussy, arrangement of shrubs within a fairly limited palette of bluish
green through to purple.

I've already come into some Eryngium (Blue Sea Holly) and am interested
in shrubs which might complement this. I'm very fond of what i'm afraid,
due to lack of knowledge, I can only describe as thick bladed grasses,
especially those with a bluish-green hue and may want to include some
rocks with some heather or similair!

Can anyone decipher this and make any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations

As Sacha says you will get better suggestions if you can give a more
accurate location.
An absolute must have is Crambe Cordifolia. Tolerant of most things and
grows on rubbish soil with salt.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ages/235.shtml

As per previous post I live in East Scotland, but not so near the sea that
soil is an issue. i believe the soil is pretty good. thanks for the ideas so
far!

Then your main concern is exposure (of the plants, not you) to strong
winds and cold east winds. That will limit what you can plant straight
out in the open; shelter will allow you to grow most things but in the
complete open, only tougher stuff will do well.
Shelter from icy east winds will allow less hardy stuff to grow and
shelter from strong winds in general will allow flimsy flowering stuff
to grow.