Old 11-05-2006, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross

Default Oak seedling

Alan Sung wrote:
"David E. Ross" wrote in message
First, let the oak grow almost like a shrub, with multiple stems. This
is the way many seedling oaks grow. Allow it to grow this way for 3-5
years, until the stems are at least as thick as broom sticks.

All the acorns that sprout in the woods around me only have a single stem.
The only time I see multiple stems is when the main leader is cut close to
the ground. Oaks are pretty sturdy and maintenance free. Letting your 7-8 ft
tree sway, rather than staking it, will actually help strengthen it and help
it grow upright. Any Pisa-like tilt will work its way out over time.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 6a)

In a protected environment that might be true with eastern oaks.
Western oaks might start as single-stemmed seedlings but become somewhat
shrubby as saplings. (The original post failed to indicate a location.)
Even in the east, however, rodents and insects might find the leader
to be very tasty. The result is shrub-like. In nature, the tree will
eventually grow with a single trunk despite any such trauma -- if it
survives at all. Then, the other low branches will die back and fall
away.

A garden is NOT nature. We can huury things along (but not much). To
get strong shoots, head them (the same way nature uses a rabbit). Once
a well-placed, strong shoot is identified, remove the others without
waiting for die-back. This might take 5-6 years in the garden versus
10-20 years in nature.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my http://www.rossde.com/PGP/