Old 16-03-2003, 08:32 AM
Tony Miklos

Default Throw out the mower ? ? ? ? ? ?

Even the cheapest ones will last much longer than that if cared for even
half assed.

When I moved here in 1992, I bought a 20 year old Husky/Bolens garden
tractor with a cutting deck, rototiller, plow... About 4 years later I
traded in the cutting deck on a snow blower attachment, and bought a new
commercial walk behind lawn mower (X-mark), with a sulky to ride on. I
haven't done a thing to it but change the oil, sharpen the blades and
replace a belt once in 6 years. About 2.25 acres of grass to cut here
(but I keep planting more and more other stuff to slowly make the yard
smaller). The little old garden tractor is still used to pull the cart,
plow or throw snow, rototill,... Heck, it's only 31 years old, I can't
retire it yet! (I do have to wrench on it now and then though)

--
Tony

TOM KAN PA wrote:

From HouseSmart by Lou Manfredini appearing in the USA Weekend Magazine:
Get more from your mower
Simple tips for years of use.
"Many of us are assiduous about car care but slack off when it comes to our
mowers. When they're new, we're thrilled with how easily they start and how
neatly they trim the yard. By the second season, they don't start quite so
easily, and the lawn begins to look rough around the edges. By the third
season, we junk it and buy a new model. (The average lifespan of America's
lawnmowers and other yard machines is no more than three years.) "
How many of you gardeners have junked your mower in the third season? I can see
me telling my wife, "Well honey, the $500 Toro is going on its third mowing
season, time to take it to the curb on garbage pickup day, and buy a new one."
Yeah, sure!