Old 11-05-2006, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
Richard Miller

Default Hurricane Hedge Recommendations

I was in a wind over 200 mph and our 4 foot hedge was just fine and it got
the blunt of the storm. When you first plant a new hedge, it just won't take
the wind. After a couple of years and then trimmed down to about 4 feet,
you'll have what you want. Ask your local nursery and tell them what you
want and I'm sure they can help you because they live in the area and know
what your talking about.

"BrittonV" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for recommendations on a Hedge.

I have recently acquired a generator for my home in South Florida for
backup power after a hurricane. I need to put a hedge around it and it
only makes sense to surround it with a hedge that can stand up to a
hurricane. I have found many resources that tell you that a hedge
offers great protection. But not what plant is better then another.
During last years hurricanes I lost a hedge, while others faired just
fine. So I have to assume that not all are created equal and would
like to know what is 'best'

I can't find a resource on hedges and wind tolerance/resistance. If
anyone knows of such a published resource, I'd be very grateful if you
could forward me that information.

Otherwise anyone's recommendations, or better yet past experiences
would be very helpful!

Sincerely,
Vince