Old 11-05-2006, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
James

Default Are custom fertilizers better than the general stuff?

spud wrote:
i now use foliar fed fertilizer like miracle grow on my spuds now.

Do you just wet the leaves or do you drench the soil as well?

the 'farm' we would side dress 800 pounds of N per acre at the time of
hilling the potatoes. They received 600 pounds of 6-32-24 at planting.
I have found through research that the potato plant uses very little
food until about 55 days after planting. By that time most of the N is
washed out and the rest is now unsoluble.