Old 11-05-2006, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Me

Default How do I protect a hedge from the local kids?

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
I've mentioned it before, if the hedge isn't overhanging the pavement

you could probably put up railings. If it is overhanging then cut it
back. I get a bit peaved when I have to step into the road to avoid
walking into peoples hedges.

That's not a fair point when you don't know the situation. Yes, of
course, the hedge grows outwards over the pavement but only by a few
inches. I don't see how I could ensure that it didn't encroach at all
without destroying the hedge myself. The key point is that the pavement
is wide (at least 10 feet), and there is no unreasonable encroachment,
and certainly not enough to justify pushing each other into it. Even if
it was cut back a few inches, I don't see why that would make the kids
want to stop doing it.

Cut it back enough to put up railings or a rail then let the hedge grow
into the railings. You could brace the railings from within the hedge
to give extra stability. Kids won't be jumping into a railing for fun.

That might solve half the problem, but add to the other half... that of them
throwing other kids into the hedge?

Me