Old 12-05-2006, 12:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
rile

Default Zucchini war

It's time to get ready for the annual war between my zucchini plants
and the dreaded squash borer. This year I've decided to at least make
an attempt to slow the accursed things down.
After reading numerous posts, I've decided to make a many fronted
attack. I am going to line the base of the plants with aluminum foil,
spray shaving cream on the stems, cover the plants with row covers,
check for eggs, and be ready with a syringe and Bt. Also, I am going
to plant several times over the summer, especially in late June after,
I assume, the egg laying is ended.
Now some questions: where can I find the row covers needed (Remay has
been suggested), and how do you hand pollinate the blossoms if bees
can't get through the row covers?
Any other suggestions are appreciated.