Old 12-05-2006, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Really Big Spiders

"louisxiv" wrote in message

"michael adams" wrote in message

"louisxiv" wrote in message

Probably off topic but my house is full of really big spiders right now

..
Normally I don't mind but on the rare occasions i'm sober i'm getting
freaked out by their presence in my bedroom.

How can i be rid of them? Humanely preferably, but i'd rather nuke them

than
sleep with them.

Any solutions appreciated

xiv

If they're daddy-long-legs spiders - pholcus phalangioides

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/.../pholcus1.html

the ones that hang upside down from hammock webs from
the ceiling, or wherever they can sling their webs -

They're easily handled by scooping the spiders complete with
the web they're hanging from, from underneath in a suitable
sized container. Yoghurt pots of various sizes are ideal
for this task. The web strands attach to the rim of the
container along with the spider.

They can then be transferred by tipping them out somewhere
else, a wall or somewhere where they can start to climb. Or
failing that leave the container on its side and let them
find their own way. They're indoor spiders often found
in cellars or lofts so a shed or garage might be a good
bet. The spiderlings often hatch in webs on the corners of
ceilings and absail down.

michael adams

Ah! Thanks for that.

However, it's the victims that freak me out. The hairy ones that the link
you sent depicts being eaten by the long legged ones that oddly don't

bother
me at all. The ones it says are responsible for arachnophobia. No wonder!

Seriously, i'm phobic and it's no fun having them around. Any ideas how to
'exclude' them from my life?

If you're talking about house spiders. If they're on a wall the
standard technique is to place a clear glass over them, so you can
see what you're doing.* And then slowly slide a sheet of thin
stiff paper under the glass so they can walk onto the paper.
Like the moving pavemant at London Airport. Then when the
underneath of the glass is completely covered by the paper "floor",
remove the glass and paper taking care to keep them together
and decant the contents somewhere else. House spider prefer
indoors or a hole in a tree maybe. Or keep the spider as a pet
in an aquarium feding it on cat food. Keeping more than
one spider in the one aquarium at one time might induce
undue stress or simply mean there was only one spider after
about a minute.

* They can move extremly fast. IIRR the trick is to proceed
very slowly from above and behind the spider.

michael adams