Old 12-05-2006, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Default OT?: Really Big Spiders

louisxiv wrote:
Probably off topic but my house is full of really big spiders right now .
Normally I don't mind but on the rare occasions i'm sober i'm getting
freaked out by their presence in my bedroom.

How can i be rid of them? Humanely preferably, but i'd rather nuke them than
sleep with them.

Any solutions appreciated

xiv

I know this is not what you want to hear, but spiders eat considerable
amounts of creepy crawlies which are much much more deleterious to you
than they are.
Pholcuses are the skinny long-legged spiders which hang from the
corners of your ceiling. Tegeneria are what are sometimes called house
spiders, and they are big burly creatures with a large grey/brown
abdomen a bit like a tabby cat, somewhat hairy. The males have little
boxing gloves at the end of their pedipalps (either side of the head),
and the females are slightly bigger and don't have the boxing gloves.
I sound awfully knowledgeable, but that's simply because I asked
someone who is a long time ago: I happen to quite like spiders, and
find them quite fascinating. I must say that I have quite a few
resident ones in my house. I occasionally use a feather duster to get
rid of the webs, but I would alway rescue any spider which fell into my
bathtub.
On balance, they contribute very positively to the human environment
and the garden, and though they are welcome in our house, I have never
had any of them crawl over me - unless I put them into my hand. We
cohabit, but don't interfere too much with each-other - I probably
interfere more with them than they do with me.
It would probably be easier to get your arachnophobia treated than to
sterilise the environment of any spider...

Cat(h)