Old 12-05-2006, 10:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
JimR

Default Leveling ground

I think the primary concern should be to avoid a problem when driving a
lawnmower or walking across the sod and hard surfaces. You want to have a
safe and easy transition.

Make the ground level with the hard surface. If you're going to put in sod
rathr than seed, level the lawn so that the grass blade base is at the same
level as the patio. The reason is not for the health of the grass, but to
make it easier to move a lawnmower, cart or wagon across the area without
having to lift it up to clear the hard surface, and to prevent a tripping
problem. Don't make the grass surface higher than the hard surface because
rainfall may tend to collect and run off down the hard surface rather than
soak into the lawn.

Also, although no one's mentioned it, make sure you have it graded properly
so that drainage runs away from the house or other structure and does not
cause a problem for your neighbors. You may also want to consider creating
a subtle swale to better direct the water in the right direction.
Regards --

"niloc" wrote in message

Hello,
After many years of neglect I have decided to make a new lawn in the
back garden.I have cleared brambles roots etc, removed what old grass
there was left and now want to level the ground.The area is 22 x 4m
approx and is bordered by a concrete path down the long side and patio
paving at the rear of the house.
My question is should I make the ground level with the path/patio or
perhaps slightly lower to allow for the height of the grass?
Appologies if this seems a stupid question but I am by no means a
gardener!
Thanks in advance

niloc

--