Old 13-05-2006, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor

Default The dreaded Tick

We looked up several of the Lyme disease sites when my son's
father -in -law, a keen falconer and shooter showed symptoms of the disease.
The indication was a greater risk of infection in the UK from ticks that
had resided on gamebirds.
Regards
David T

"Sian" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
Janet Baraclough writes

I don't think pets even find them as irritating as we do; or even notice
them. I've never seen our dogs and cats scratching or rubbing even at
very engorged ticks.

It must be a personal thing. I've never had a need to scratch or rub at
even a very engorged tick - in fact, unless I'm looking for them, it's
only by accident that I find them.

Mosquitos, otoh ....!

--
Kay

We check each day now and find them when they have only just "arrived".
Have never had an engorged specimen, thank Goodness. We use vaseline which
suffocates them and then remove them easily with tweezers. The head is
never left in using this method, though I believe some people say you
should not follow it.

We do itch for a short time after this removal, Kay, so you have been very
lucky !