Old 13-05-2006, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Interesting worm facts

"George.com" wrote in message

Some interesting facts for worm denyers. If people still think worms
are an option in their gardens or lawns this will put them right.

Nobody with any serious interest in the subject has been in any
doubt as to the beneficial role of earthworms ever since the
publication of

"The Formation of Vegetable Mould, Through the Action of Worms."
by Charles Darwin

London, John Murray. 1883 i.e. over 120 years ago.

Links to the full text of the 7 shortish chapters can be
found on here.

http://tinyurl.com/m7qw3

for -

http://pages.britishlibrary.net/char...uld/mould.html

However, just as with the true implications of the work for
which Darwin is best known - "On The Origin of Species by Means
of Natural Selection" 1859, that life serves no real purpose at
all other than just well....existing, people also choose to ignore
the possible implications of killing off all their earthworms in the hope
of avoiding worm casts on their perfect bowling greens, or denying any
food to the resident moles who are spoiling their lawns. But then
people are just like that, unfortunately.

Some of the worms listed here are NZ residents so you may not
get them.

The only New Zealand worm of any interest to U.K residents
are New Zealand flatworms. Cannibals who since their accidental
introduction into the U.K have shown a voracious appetite for
our native earthworms, while being unpalatable to the likes of
predators such as ground beetles and the like.

http://flatworm.csl.gov.uk/

Although having just read the link, it seems to got itself
a good lawyer and a good agent in the meantime.

Nevertheless, I'd stop while I was ahead if I were you.

michael adams