Old 13-05-2006, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Garden Gnome

Default Q: Why are my tomatoe plant flowers falling off?

Jim Carter wrote:

On Sat, 13 May 2006 17:30:06 GMT, Sue
wrote:

I'm over here in Los Banos and my tomatoes have suffered from blossom
drop for the last 3 years. I have no idea why. Some say the heat but
they grow commercial tomatoes around here and my first year of growing
them was just great.

I am on the side of those who blame heat. Some of the plant
hardiness zones here in Canada have been changed to reflect
global warming (the last frost date has been moved forward by a
week locally--near Ottawa).

I'm Zone 6A Ontario. Our last frost date is May 9 but according to an
experienced cash crop farmer relative, I should hold off until May 15 to
put tomatoes in the ground. That's ok with me since they can get a head
start in the greenhouse. I didn't realize it was due to global warming
though. When I was young, the garden was supposed to be in by May 24
and I can't recall staggering planting either but maybe I just was too
young to notice. Now, some crops go in 4 weeks before the ADLF, some 2
weeks before, some on the ADLF and some 2 weeks after. Last year, I
didn't get anything in until almost the second week of June since the
experienced farmers were saying that's when to plant. I'm following
more of their advice since their livihood depends on success I figure
they know what they are talking about.

You might try to buy a plant or two that are normally grown in
the deep south and see if these plants are able to set fruit.
Different types of tomatoes are able to tolerate more heat than
others. How are your neighbours' tomatoes?

As an aside...

I have a friend who lives in Kenya (right on the equator). There
is only one type of tomato that will grow in the country and that
only at high altitude.

The tomato growing season has already passed for those who live
in Florida.

--

Garden Gnome
http://ca.360.yahoo.com/sfg.oamc