Old 13-05-2006, 06:43 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default ulmus racemosa; seed and cuttings

Now I am referencing Burns & Honkala, Silvics of North America Volume
2, Hardwoods,
circa 1991 #654. On page 823 it states and I quote.

--- quoting in parts page 823 ---
Trees 20 years old produce viable seeds....

Despite its high seed viability, rock elm regenerates poorly....
persistence of dormant terminal buds...... Emergent seedlings rarely
develop more than a single pair of leaves during the first growing
season due to this dormancy.

However under field conditions with competition....averaged only 27 cm
(10.6 in) in height 5 years after planting and only 52 cm (20.4 in) 10
years after planting in northern Wisconsin.
--- end quoting ---

I was expecting a species that grows almost as fast as American elm. It
seems not unreasonable to expect all species of elm to grow about the
same rate. That the metabolism within a specific species should all be
about the same.

This is making me suspicious that most endangered species of trees are
slow growing. That if a tree species is slow growing then its chances
of going extinct are that much greater.

This is bad news to me for I probably will not see my rock elm develop
into a "stand of trees" before I die.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium