Old 13-05-2006, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Bees

In article ,
"Tab" writes:

| I was asked today where bees live in the wild.We have both seen the wasps
| nests(bikes) but not bees ones.I could not give an answer ,hope someone in
| the group can .

Which bees? Honey bees live in holes in old trees, caves etc., and are
very happy with attics, disused chimneys etc. Bumble and other solitary
and semi-solitary bees may do the same (but need less space) or make nests
in the ground.

We had a wild bees' nest in a disused chimney for a long time, and have
bumble bees' nests in the lawn (where we have naturalised bulbs, so do
not mow it close) and under trees most years. So do many people, even
those who don't notice them :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.