Old 14-05-2006, 06:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
told2b

Default HELP -- Japanese Red Maple

Emery Davis wrote:
On 11 May 2006 09:20:17 -0700
"told2b" wrote:
This spring the Japanese Red Maple is in very bad shape. There is a
lot more dieback in the center of the tree. Outer branches have leafed out
There are splits in the branches and bark is peeling off the tree. Where
the bark is peeling the inner wood looks like it's getting sunscald or the
discoloration happened first and caused the bark to peel off. The tree is
also putting out new growth on the main trunk about 3 feet off the ground.
I assume the tree is trying to save itself.

You need to ask about this on the maple forum. Go to

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/

and then maples. A lot of Maple Society folks hang around as
well as people in the trade.

I have only heard about Tight Bark in an anecdotal way. I've never
seen it mentioned in the literature. Not to say there's no such
thing, but take it for what it's worth.

Why not regular Verticillium wilt? You describe wood decoloration,
that's a symptom.

For a tree like this it's probably worth getting a local expert in to
take a look, and quickly.

Good luck.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Thanks for the reply. Interesting Maple site. Will prowl around in
there
for awhile. I cut off one of the dead branches about 5-6 feet in
length.
I split the wood and do not see any staining on the sapwood so I don't
think it's verticillum. Have a call in to cooperative extension, wil
be
talking with consultant on Monday.