Old 14-05-2006, 06:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Default tent caterpillars in fruit trees

wrote:

I've had an orchard for four years. This year, the tent caterpillars
have decided they are taking over. Can you tell me, besides using BT,
what are some other ways to get rid of these pests? Should I have
sprayed with BT earlier, like before they went into pink bud, or can I
spray now that they are blooming? What would make them come in this
year instead of last or the previous years?

You don't want to spray any insecticides while the trees are blooiming, or you
will kill the benefical pollinators. You can
start spraying after petal fall.

I would try to kill the caterpillar eggs next winter with dormant oil. It will
smother the eggs, thus killing the pest.

Other insecticides that don't harm beneficial insects are insecticidal soaps,
spinosad (Conserve), and azadirachtim (Azatin). Aso, l insecticides include
carbaryl (Sevin), malathion, acephate (Orthene) and permethrin.

Sherwin D.