Old 14-05-2006, 07:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

Default tent caterpillars in fruit trees

wrote:

I've had an orchard for four years. This year, the tent caterpillars
have decided they are taking over. Can you tell me, besides using BT,
what are some other ways to get rid of these pests? Should I have
sprayed with BT earlier, like before they went into pink bud, or can I
spray now that they are blooming? What would make them come in this
year instead of last or the previous years?

Sorry for the multiple replies, but I recall that I'm having difficulty this
year with aphids. This could be because of the cool damp weather that has
prevented the
natural predators of aphids, like lady bugs and wasps from controlling their
numbers.
I don't know if this also holds true for tree caterpillars.

Sherwin D.