Old 14-05-2006, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Thorn Attack

"UkJay" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

My wife is usually the one who does the gardening, but today I decided
I would
Clear a way to get through a path to our garage.
I got to work on cutting away at a quince bush (or whatever it's
called)

I now have a sore finger after a thorn attack
Any ideas how to remove this?

Have plenty of bandages handy, a bucket of water and a mop,
drink two bottles of whisky, put your finger on a chopping block,
hand your wife the cleaver and try and look the other way.

While on the other hand -

As a result of regularly handling cacti, many years ago I bought
myself a jeweller's eye glass - the actual magnification number
wore off years ago, and a large pair of tweezers.

I'd be lost without these. As they're invaluable both for removing
the otherwise almost invisible tiny spines of species such as opuntia
which can be very irritating to the skin but not immediately painful,
and also for handling tiny seed of species such as mammilaria.

If there's any of the thorn still standing proud of the skin, or
it can be made to do so then having some extra magnification
to see what you're doing - indeed the same goes for all splinters etc
- can be a great help.

A few quid well spent, from an optician etc near you.

michael adams

The last time this sort of thing happened I ended up with a septic
infection
And I don't want that again thank you

--

James (ukjay)

http://www.ukjay.co.uk

Garden WebCam,Photography,Competitions,Weather (AWS)