Old 14-05-2006, 02:09 PM
brendonanderinc brendonanderinc is offline
Registered User

Red face New... Need Help Getting Plants Started...

My husband and I have just started a pond, and we need a little help with the basics. We'd like to get some plants started. We have several potted lillies that seem to being doing well, but we'd like to add some oxygenators.

We tried some bundles of parrot's feather. They were floating at the nursery where we purchased them. They were wrapped in bundles of 4-5 strands, with a bendable mental band. At that point, they had no roots. We simply tossed them into our pond, where they did well for a few days...and had developed root buds. Then, they all sank!? How do I keep them floating on the surface? Should I have removed the metal band?

Also, we've purchased some anacharis that is wrapped in bundles, using rubber bands. How should we add these to our pond? I'd rather not pot them, if it's not necessary. I've read about anchoring them with lead weights, but I haven't seen any details about how to do this. Are the "lead weights" the bendable metal bands? How many strands should we bundle together? How tightly? Then, do we simply toss them in?

I know these questions must seem very basic!

Thanks for your time and help!