Old 14-05-2006, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Default top dressing lawn

We have a badly compacted area of "lawn" on the shady side of our house. It
is on heavy clay which cracks when dry. However we can ensure that it gets a
good soaking once a week. So far I've holes with a fork and brushed sharp
sand into them. I've also sprinkled some chicken manure on top of the area
in the hope that worms will drag it down and sprinkled grass seed down. Will
this work? Is there anythign else I can do other than digging up the whole
lawn and starting again which I'd like to avoid? TIA

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)