Old 14-05-2006, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

Default grass bodering

On Sat, 13 May 2006 20:14:25 GMT, "philip hall"
wrote:

i have about 100' of grass i have to border. what is a cheap and effective
method of acheiving this.

What do you mean by 'border'? Do you mean that you want a border as in
long flower-bed or do you want some sort of edging to keep the grass
out of the flower-bed and the flower-bed out of the grass?

If the latter, then I use lengths of featherboard, available in packs
of 10 from DIY sheds (I get mine from B&Q), and intended for making
your own fencing panels. The featherboard is slightly flexible so
copes with shallow curves, is impregnated and weatherproof so won't
rot in a hurry, and looks neat when finished. It comes in 1.8 metre
lengths, 10 cm wide. Two packs should do you; can't remember the price
I paid but less that £10 per pack IIRC.

Cut a slot along the edge of the grass with a half-moon edging tool or
sharp spade and then carefully whack the boarding into the slot, thin
edge downwards using a rubber mallet, leaving a couple of cm or so
standing proud. Remove any grass on the flower-bed side of the edging.

--
Chris