Old 14-05-2006, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Small Red Robin

Default Lawn advice ... suggestions for a lawn alternative for shady damp area

The image at the link below is of a circular area that we want plant
ground cover in. We've used turf before (not shade friendly which was
silly) and it didn't last very long. We're now considering re-seeding
using shade tolerant lawn seed.

But I'm wondering if there might not be a more suitable alternative? I
vaguely remember my grandmother having a circular area in her garden in
Zimbabwe which was covered with a 'clover-like' ground cover. It was
lush and lovely (although possibly not suitable for my area). It had a
quirky ordinary name - a name that appealed to me as a child, but I
can't for the life of me remember what it was now !!

Here's a link to a picture of the area:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2755698...ritishgardens/

Does anyone have any suggestions for a ground cover that can grow in a
moderate-deep shade area that is also very damp. Something that will
tolerate a fair bit of pedestrian traffic (en route to our decked
area). The bed to the right of the picture is planted up with ferns,
gunnera and hydrangeas.

Thanks!