Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Jim W

Default Potatoes in containers

Natalie wrote:

I intend to grow potatoes in plastic dustbins at school. How many seed
potatoes should I plant per dustbin? Also, after planting the potatoes in
compost can I then add a cheaper material, like shredded paper, to keep the
stems covered?

TIA

Indoors or outdoors?

Generally not more than 5. I would recommed 2 or 3, and Salad & early
cultivars work best from what I know...

This is assuming you are using standard round 'black plastic bin' type
dustbins. (Eg bit smaller than an oil barrel size)

It is possible to grow spuds under a straw blanket providing they are in
a layer of good compost to feed off. I would think shredded paper would
be OK as a substitute.

I would start off with a first later of compost and then try continuing
with paper or straw. Spuds are hard to kill so you will probably get
something!!-)

How are you anyway,.. Haven't heard from you for ages.
//
Jim