Old 15-05-2006, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Default Burlap root balls

Kurk
For me, I do. Why? Because I want to prune the roots before I plant it
some a ring of callus forms from which new non-woody roots come from. Plus
I want to see where the roots come off the trunk because the planting depth,
for me, must be the area where the roots are coming off the trunk.
Remember, the flair at the base of the trunk is truck tissues and not woody
root tissues. If you had a high quality nursery, I have only heard of two,
you may not have to prune the roots because they prune them. Oh, yes, they
prune the correctly.
Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com
http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

"Kurt Gavin" wrote in message
nk.net...
Should burlap be removed from root balls when planting?

The state university's tree planting web page says yes. However, I've read
that if the root ball comes apart, that's bad. On the other hand, I've

seen
diagrams of how to split root balls or cut the sides to get the roots

freed
up from the root balls mass to promote growth.

Is there any consensus on this?

Thanks