Old 15-05-2006, 08:23 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default light lamp to overcome dormancy and aid in cuttings ulmus racemosa; seed and cuttings

I am going to call it the Alaska effect. Since in Alaska summers can be
almost nearly 24 hours of sunlight.

Maybe this is the answer for such slow growing trees such as Pinyon
pine, Swiss stone pine and Korean pine.

But most of all, perhaps this is the best method of cuttings, where
placing them under a lightlamp for the nighttime increases the chances
and rate of rooting.

My Rock Elm seed of approx 150 were seeded last Friday and according to
the book, can germinate in 6 days provided the seed was dry. Mine were
not dry.

I have 24 cuttings in addition to the 150 seeds, both begun last Friday
12May. So I want to monitor their progress.

I find it hard to believe that since American Elm, White Elm grows fast
that the entire genus, Ulmus, would all be fast growers or relatively
fast growers. Willow genus is fast growing and as far as I know all
Salix are fast growers. But the pine genus, Pinus has fast growers and
slow ones such as Pinyon and the nut-pines.

So I wonder about the metabolism determinants in the DNA coding as to
fast growing compared to slow growing.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium