Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Sharon Curtis

Default Electric chain saws

In article ,
Drakanthus wrote:
Has anyone had any experience of electric chain saws? I have a couple of

30
foot columnar/ pyramid conifers which consist of multiple trunks up to

about
6 inches diameter.

I would just use a manual bowsaw. Cheap but very effective - like a knife
through butter. I used one to remove and chop up cherry tree with a 9 inch
diameter trunk. You just need to take care that the tree doesn't sag onto
the blade trapping it - if you start to feel the blade pinching a little
just continue cutting the trunk from the opposite side.
I recon I could hand saw a 6 inch diameter conifer trunk in around 10
minutes - seems a waste of money buying an electric one specially for just
two trees.

I just wanted to second this recommendation. The bow saw is cheaper
*and* its human powered so you don't have to worry about circuit breakers
and it's a lot safer, control-wise. 6 inches, yeah, I reckon I could
do one in 10 minutes too. And it's good exercise :-)

Sharon