Old 15-05-2006, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Small Red Robin

Default Lawn advice ... suggestions for a lawn alternative for shady damp area

Hi there,

Cat(h) - paving over would be a last option for us because the circular
area leads (through an arch, where I was standing when I took the
picture) on to a small gravel area which then steps onto a decked area.
So it would be too much hard stuff for my taste.

Scotia - it's not chamomile that I'm thinking of (regarding my
grandmother's groundcover). I had to phone my mother to check because
it's driving me mad. She said my gran had an area that was covered with
'daisy lawn' and that she also had a small groundcover that made tiny
little 'strawberry-like fruit' (inedible though). I remeber my grans
little area being really lovely so wouldn't mind reproducing the
effect; however, this was in Zimbabwe so I'm not sure if either of
these options are available here in the UK, or if it would be a hardy
option for Scotland....? Anyway, 'daisy lawn' is still not the
'intriguing name' I think I can't remember so I don't know what is
going on in my head or where I got it from. Maybe I dreamt it. But it's
driving me nuts!

Janet - moss would be an option and would probably do very well there.
I'm not sure though that it might be dangerous to walk over all the
time? Wouldn't it be very slippy? Our garden is very long and narrow
and that little section is right in the middle - on the way to our
decked area, my washing line and my greenhouse and shed.... so well
travelled.

George - thanks for all the links. I'll go check them out.

The search continues...... please keep ideas rolling in. Many thanks.