Old 15-05-2006, 07:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
voicelit

Default Help! Ground Cover ? Rookie

Here we live, my wife and I, Maddie the year old herding dog , and
Buffy the much older parakeet. Our first house, Yorktown area
Westchester County Ny.
Big back yard, about a third acre of lawn. Maddie's play area, electric
fence.
There's a big square ( 15' X 15' ) of basicly sand. Only thing level in
the yard. We're on a hillside. I'm told there was an aboveground pool
there years ago. Sand held the bottom. There were grasses and weeds
growing on it when we first got here late last summer. Apparently the
last owners had put some top soil on it and tried to garden - with
little luck.
When I turned the soil over a week or so ago, I brought up all the
sand. Have been digging some sand out and replacing with soil from
around the area.
Any idea for a ground cover that likes somewhat sandy soil , perennial
, but blooms most of the season ?
Want to keep the bloom height low so that Maddie the dog can still run
across it and catch her frisbee.
Hard to find a plant with all those attributes. Maybe I need to
understand how to plant a basicly low green groundcover then some other
plants that bloom low at different times thoughout the season ?
Am thinking now : SOAPWORT ? or DIANTHUS ?
Would really appreciate any help.

Marty