Old 15-05-2006, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph

Default Woodchuck defenses

On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:49:16 +0000, ---Pete--- wrote:

On Mon, 01 May 2006 11:04:22 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

I'm thinking that a fence around the garden is the only means of keeping
the woodchucks and raccoons out. My question is how tall does it have to
be and how deep to I have to bury it in the ground?

--------
I have a 3 foot fence with small spacing at the bottom and larger spacing
near the top. I think it's called rabbit fence because the smaller spacing
at the bottom is supposed to keep out the rabbits.

Anyway, I have seen the groundhogs climb the fence about 2 foot up and
squeeze through the larger spacing holes near the top of the fence. If I
had to re-do my fence, I'd get a 5 foot tall fence with very small spacing
and put it 1 foot under the ground. Then I'd back fill the dirt with a
combo of stones & broken glass to discourage any digging. I'm not sure if
this would work but this is what I would try.

PS: If you do any live animal trapping, try spray painting their fur to
mark them before you transport them anywhere. 7 miles might not be far
enough. I have heard stories where animals like squirels were taken miles
away and the just about beat the transport vehicle home.

---pete---

When I did raccoon trapping in the past I moved them across the Merrimac
river which is a pretty substantial river so I doubt it was the same ones
finding their way back. However since then there has been a serious rabies
epidemic in the raccoon population so I wouldn't dare try that today. I'm
going to try a fence and see if that does it. However before I do anything
the rain has to stop, my side yard is a lake at the moment (btw a cubit is
about 20 inches, is that right?).