Old 15-05-2006, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Boron Elgar

Default Woodchuck defenses

On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:49:16 GMT, (---Pete---) wrote:

On Mon, 01 May 2006 11:04:22 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

I'm thinking that a fence around the garden is the only means of keeping
the woodchucks and raccoons out. My question is how tall does it have to
be and how deep to I have to bury it in the ground?

--------
I have a 3 foot fence with small spacing at the bottom and larger
spacing near the top. I think it's called rabbit fence because the
smaller spacing at the bottom is supposed to keep out the rabbits.

Anyway, I have seen the groundhogs climb the fence about 2 foot
up and squeeze through the larger spacing holes near the top of
the fence. If I had to re-do my fence, I'd get a 5 foot tall fence
with very small spacing and put it 1 foot under the ground. Then
I'd back fill the dirt with a combo of stones & broken glass to
discourage any digging. I'm not sure if this would work but this
is what I would try.

PS: If you do any live animal trapping, try spray painting their
fur to mark them before you transport them anywhere. 7 miles
might not be far enough. I have heard stories where animals
like squirels were taken miles away and the just about beat
the transport vehicle home.

---pete---

Groundhogs are fierce diggers and can even undermine the foundation of
a home. I, myself have only found success with growing what they like
up on my deck and gating off the stairs (think large sheet of plywood)
so they have no access to what it grown up there.

I have tried trapping, fencing, and even brick sunk below ground,
etc...nothing has beaten them. I hate the *******s, frankly.

Boron